Thursday, June 14, 2012

Are you ready...for your pregnancy to end?

I'm asked this question daily, usually multiple times every day. 

I've heard countless people talk about reaching a point in pregnancy where they are ready to be done.  Ready to have their baby; ready to not be pregnant anymore.   People have an expectation that pregnant women feel that way, and some think it should be more than a month before for their due in some cases.

At 37 weeks, I do not have that feeling.

I'm not ready for it to be over; I'm not ready for the pregnancy to end.

It's not because I don't want my baby.  I most certainly do!

But I know it's not time, baby knows it's not time, and the longer baby waits, the healthier baby will be.  I know I've reached a point where the baby will be fine if born now, but things I've read indicate that making it the full length leads to greater health for baby, and I don't want to rush baby because I'm on a time table.  Baby will tell us when it's time, and I'm hoping baby waits 2 more weeks. 

Pregnancy really hasn't been bad.  At least it hasn't been for me, and I know that is not the case for everyone. 

I'm still sleeping fairly well at this point.  I may get up a time or two during the night, and other than a brief bit of hip pain for a few days, I'm sleeping well.  I'm sure I won't be able to say that with a newborn!

I'm enjoying the last few weeks as our family of 4 and we're talking more and more about baby to hopefully prepare everyone for what's to come.  As if we can be prepared for a newborn to throw out our normal as we re-create a new family normal as a family of 5.

I'm just not yet ready for it to be over.

But the questions, they keep coming.  People keep asking.  And my response has stayed consistent.  Sometimes their reactions are of shock, perhaps jealousy in some other mamas, I'm not sure.  But it's rarely what people are expecting when they say something to the effect of, "I bet you're ready for it to be over."

No comments: