Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Our Mini Staycation 2012

After Memorial Day weekend, Keith and I took a few extra days off work to enjoy time with the boys before new baby arrived and we transitioned into a new life as a family of 5.

Keith spent Saturday helping his mom out with things while the kids and I accomplished some errands and some housework before relaxing to play for awhile.

Sunday was a busy day for us as we had out maternity photos taken and then dropped the kids off with my mom so we could stop a wedding reception for a friend my friend Molly and her new husband.  Needless to say after all that we were all pretty tired!

Monday we celebrated the holiday by going to the Memorial Day Parade.


We finished the afternoon with a cookout at our house with my parents and a relaxing afternoon of movies in our living room.  Keith made some delicious ribs and the kids got to enjoy Chipwrecked!  We also watched We Bought a Zoo, which I was a bit disappointed with. 

Of course I started to come down with a cold over the weekend, so Tuesday was kind of questionable as to what we were going to do.  Then when we woke up to rain it made the day even more of a challenge, but we decided to take the kids down to Amish Country. 

We started at Heini's and took a cheese making tour to see how they make cheese.  Then we sampled some cheese and made our purchase selections.  Cheese is very yummy.  I could live without chocolate; I could not live without cheese! 

Then we headed to Chalet in the Valley for lunch.  While we ate our lunch we talked about our afternoon plans, which were poorly thought out!  We hadn't brought much, if any cash with us and there wasn't a close ATM available for us.  That poses a problem in an area that still has many cash only locations.  So we decided to stop at Hershberger's Farm and Bakery after lunch to see the petting zoo and tour the shops before heading back toward home. 

On our drive back we decided a round of mini-golf was in order and we stopped to play.  I'd taken Caden a year or so ago, but Caleb had never been so it was a fun new adventure.  After trying to teach them how to play the first few holes, we gave in and let them run around a hole ahead of us playing their way.  I gave up on the don't pick up your ball until it's into the hole and the no you have to use your club to hit the ball not just scoot the ball along the green with your club. 

We ended early that afternoon to head home and introduce the boys to Ghostbusters, which we watched together for the first time.  Well, they all watched, I watched/napped through it! 

Wednesday came around with much nicer weather, but another morning of decided what to do on our poorly planned vacation!  After the day before in the heat and my cold, I wasn't sure I could handle a day at the zoo, which is what we'd originally wanted to do.  But I was feeling a bit better and the weather was much friendlier so to the zoo we went!

Elephants!

Wallaby Ears

Wallaby Ears
 


Sitting on a Polar Bear

Watching the Rino

Watching the Rino

Rino


We wrapped up our day at the zoo with a nice meal before heading to the private family viewing of my grandmother.  Our time off work was extended by a day for my grandmother's funeral on Thursday. 


No comments: