Monday, August 30, 2010

Parkersburg News & Sentinel 2 Mile Race

A week or so ago, I ran a two mile race.  The race was in the town across the river from my college town, and it was a great excuse to have a weekend to go see some college friends.

My super awesome friend Robin and her husband Eric and their 6-month old baby girl were in town to stay with her parents for the weekend.  Her mom walks the half-marathon every year.  My friend Claire also still lives in the area and was running the two-mile race too!  It was a great opportunity to visit and run!

I got in town Friday evening in time to relax with Robin & her family at their farmhouse.  I love visiting with Robin and her family.  Her parents live out in the country in southeaster Ohio, and it's just beautiful!  I love the views looking out over the rolling hills and the general country-ness to it.  There aren't many close neighbors, just nature and some farmland.  They live in a great older farmhouse that is so comfortable.  People always seem to be congregating around the large kitchen table and talking.  They have always been very welcoming to me, and I am so very grateful for that!  I've stayed at their house on more than one occasion now, and am so happy to be welcomed into their home!

Now, on to the race day!  Remember how I said her family was amazing!  Well, here mom had to be there bright and early for the half marathon too, so we got up and got ready together and headed to meet her group of friends for the walk/run!  We drove to the race together and talked along the way.  It was nice to not have to go solo on race day!  I was hoping to meet up with Claire when we got there, but she was impossible to find amongst the 1,000+ participants!

Then it was race time!  There was a sea of 613 runners entered in the two mile.  We ran around the block, and as I said about the rolling hills, it's hillier than I'm used to there!  We then went out and around the town through some great parts of town with lovely houses!  There were people sporadically throughout the whole path, which was nice!  I always run better when I think/know people are watching!  Then they finally told us we were at mile 1, and all I could think was that's it.  It's only been a mile!?  How am I only half way through this race.  Then the second mile came, and there was a decent stretch of it where I thought this was going to be the end of my running career, but I trudged on through.  I'm always very good about sprinting my finish, but I knew I could have done better than I did.

I finished in 17:45.  It was about where I expected to be, better than my goal, but after, I still felt like I could have done better, and I was convinced I would still be running.  I finished 284 of those 613 runners and 4 of 17 in my age division. 

I found my way to grab some water, and kept my eye out for Claire!  I saw her not too long after she'd crossed the finish line, and we found a place to watch the half marathon runners with another of her friends.  We sat and watched for hours maybe catching up and talking.  Claire's roommate Leah, was running the half marathon, and I was excited for her!

We all gathered one everyone had finished for a few quick photos, courtesy of Claire!
Me, Claire, & Leah Post Race.
Next year I hope to be running the half-marathon too!


Robin and the rest of her family showed up in timeto watch her mom finish walking the half marathon in just under 3 hours, and then we dinned on pizza and cookies before heading back to their house for showers!

Robin, Me, Claire, and Leah

We spent the afternoon lazying around Robin's parents house, and talking the hours away enjoying my time with Robin.  She is one of my dearest friends, and I cherish the time we get to spend together since it is so few and far between!  (I still propose she move back to Ohio from NY!)

No comments: