Sunday, July 25, 2010

Family Time v. Me Time

Our National Leader at work, when catching up and asking me about my family, said something that has really stuck with me.  He said that "your life will revolve around your kids until they're 20, 22-ish"  He is a father to three, who travels fairly frequently.  But I've been thinking about his statement for the last few days.

While I do not negate the fact that my kids do and should come first in my life, I also think it is important to have my own me time too, and of course that would include time with the hubster to benefit our relationship too!  I've toyed with this thought, a lot.

Initially it really rubbed me the wrong way, but the more I think about it, the more I understand it.  I make hundreds of decisions daily that are based on what is best for my children.  I've changed my entire lifestyle in the last few years for the better to do what is best for my kids, and it turns out, it's what's best for me too. 

But I do make decisions based on my needs too.  Often time, even those are made based one what is best for my children.  Sometimes what is good for them is mommy having a night off to de-stress, come back collected and more focused. 

So maybe all my decisions are based on what is best for my family, and I am okay with that, because what is best for my family is best for me.  I think what struck me funny about it was that I interpreted that my life was to revolve around them, which it does, but I do have a life of my own, and that is alright.  I think it is perfectly acceptable to spend time apart from your family; it makes your time together that much more special.

No comments: