Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Old Apartment

I never thought I'd miss living in our old apartment

I wish someone had told me "you're gonna miss this."

It was small, very small.  There were 5 of us living in a small two bedroom, one bathroom apartment before we moved into our house.  The only bathroom we had was on the second floor.  We had three boys sharing one bedroom.  We had no air conditioning, we had a kitchen the that has about as much counter top as the length of my arm, carpet through out the entire place, and lots of other assorted weird things to it.  Who really wants carpet in the bathroom, kitchen, and dinning room!?  Especially with 3 little boys!

I hated living there.  I couldn't wait until we were officially looking to buy our first house.

And now, after living here for over a year, I miss it sometimes.

I miss the lack of responsibility that comes with an apartment.  I miss the lazy afternoons spent on the couch because there was no yard work to do, and the cleaning was able to be finished in just a short amount of time since it was so small!

I miss nap time with the boys when they went down for a nap, so did we.  Or we went to the bedroom anyway to relax together.  We hardly ever used the living room.  We had a disgusting old used couch that most of the time, I refused to sit on it was so yucky.  So once the kids went to bed, we went to the bedroom, and we may have both been on separate computers or doing completely different things, but we were there together.  Now we're scatter in different rooms, trying to get stuff done. 

When we lived in that apartment, I lived by the song lyrics below.  And now that we've moved into a spacious 4 bedroom ranch, I truly appreciate the meaning of the song.  I love my house, but there is something freeing about the lack of responsibility of apartment life. 

I made it a point this weekend, to talk my husband into spending our Sunday afternoon nap time snuggling in our bed and talking.  I don't think I could have been much happier in that moment.  (Well, unless nap time had lasted a little longer!)


"Little Houses" by Doug Stone
A little white house, in the heart of town,
On a little sad street, just a little run down,
Became a home, for Bill and Sue,
Two newlyweds, who did the best that they could do.
And when they brush each other, passin' in the hall,
Sue would smile and say: "This place is pretty small.

But you know, love grows best in little houses,

With fewer walls to separate,
Where you eat and sleep so close together.
You can't help but communicate,
Oh, and if we had more room between us, think of all we'd miss.
Love grows best, in houses just like this.

Before too long, Sue and Bill,

Were makin' plans, for Jack and Jill.
Oh, happy day, when the news came in
But what to do, when they found out Sue was having twins.
When they could not pass each other in the hall,
Well, Sue would smile and say: "This place is really, really small.

But you know, love grows best in little houses,

With fewer walls to separate,
Where you eat and sleep so close together.
You can't help but communicate,
Oh, and if we had more room between us, think of all we'd miss.
Love grows best, in houses just like this.

That little white frame house still keeps them warm,

Though it's been thirty-two years, since the kids were born,
And when they look back now, they hold each other tight,
And whisper in each other's ears: "You know you were right.

Because love grows best in little houses,

With fewer walls to separate,
Where you eat and sleep so close together.
You can't help but communicate,
Oh, and if we had more room between us, think of all we'd miss.
Love grows best, in houses just like this.

Yeah, love grows best, in houses just like this. 

2 comments:

Robin said...

I completely agree. I love our house but I miss the lack of responsibility. I am not looking forward to this winter.

Beth said...

It took me awhile to miss it, but I certainly do some days!