Friday, April 05, 2013

Spoiled

I cannot stand the use of the word spoiled. It never bothered me until Elinore arrived. Now I notice the word is thrown around frequently, usually directed at me. As in I'm spoiling Elinore.
This began very early on in Elinore's life, and I was frustrated. First and foremost because she was too young to be spoiled then. Her needs were met and I loved taking care of her.

Her needs are still met, and I still love taking care of her.

I put a lot of things off until Elinore was 6 months old. At 6 months we made quite a few changes to her routine and got into a new rhythm, which helped us out a lot. We used the cry it out method and she puts herself to sleep at night now in her own room in her own crib.

She's well fed and happy, and loves her mommy.

Excuse me for paying attention to her and meeting her needs when she cries. Last I checked knowing your child and their needs was a good thing.

Call it what you want, but I call it taking care of my kids.

I've toyed with the thought that we as society have made the word spoiled into something negative that doesn't necessarily need to be negative too, but I honestly can't come to terms with thinking when someone tell me I'm spoiling my kids that they mean that in a positive manner.

**Note: Generally when I get this comment it's because I turn to take care of her when she's crying or upset about something. 

No comments: