Monday, April 08, 2013

Cloth Diapering


Almost two months ago now, we started cloth diapering full time. This far in, Keith and I are both happy with the change and no longer even like disposables the very few times we've had to put her back in one.


I was quite anxious about getting started and felt like I was a bit under prepared to start, but once I committed, I dove right in and picked it up along the way. I'm fortunate to have a couple good friends who also cloth diapers. I used them as resources to help me get started and have reached out to them a few times since we got started too when I've had questions.

I wanted to consider cloth diapering before Elinore was born, but Keith was very against it. I wasn't willing to try it without his support. By the time Elinore was about 5 months old, Keith was ready to switch to generic diapers of lesser quality to save money, which I wasn't against, until I realized I didn't like using those diapers at all once we tried it!

That was my gateway to bring up cloth diapering again, and this time, he jumped right on board!

We started researching what brand and style of diaper we wanted to use. We decided we want to use BumGenius diapers and started scouring eBay for used diapers. Keith did most of the eBay work finding diapers, bidding, checking with me if I thought they were alright. Keith got a bit over excited maybe in his purchasing, but we ended with 44 used diapers from eBay. Four of the diapers were Fuzzibunz. About a half dozen were all-in-one elementals and the rest are 4.0s from BubGenius. Excluding one diaper, they are all snap closure, which I’m certainly a fan of. I’m not crazy about the Velcro one we have, and it’s harder to maintain the Velcro and annoying in the wash!

We thought we were going to prefer the all-in-ones the most, but it turns out the 4.0s are our favorites! I don't mind the stuffing them with the inserts, and they are easier to use and clean and they dry faster in the dryer once they're washed. We like all of our BumGenius over the Fuzzibunz.

I'm not sure how much money we're saving by going cloth. I know our water bill increased last month, which is probably a result of the increase laundry. I think we'll really benefit in savings if we use them for future Haynes babies too. :)

No comments: