Monday, September 24, 2012

Why didn't you tell us that?

The boys are inquisitive as ever.  The questions never stop.  The older they get the harder the questions get.  So hard in fact there are questions daily I can't answer.  For example, one day they asked me, "how do they make paint?"  When I thought for a bit and answered with a "they mix some chemicals together and put it in a can" it wasn't good enough for them.  What kind of chemicals?  How do they mix them?  And on and on. 

I love that they want to learn, but man, I'm having to Google things all the time.  The only problem is I can't Google and drive, which is when most of the questions arise.  Usually it's something like "what's that thing over there?"  Which also means, I usually have no idea what they're talking about.  I certainly can't peel my eyes off the road to look around for everything they might possibly ask about.  Yet when I ask for more detail about what they're pointing at, I usually get an annoyed, "that's thing mom!"  In my head I hear them finish that off with, "duh mom."  (I'm sure one of these days it will happen for real. 

The other thing that tends to happen is they get an answer that they really like to their question.  Then they get upset with us for not having told them sooner.  Usually it comes with a "why didn't you tell us that!?"  In a how could you have kept this from us!

For example when they told me, I wish we had pine cone trees in our yard, and I answered that we did, they decided they wanted two of them.  I proceeded to tell them about the half dozen pine trees in various places in our yard.  My explanation was met with a "why didn't you tell me that?!"

I had no idea it was so important to tell you!  Clearly, my children think I'm keeping secrets from them.  Including about the pine trees in our yard. 

No comments: