Thursday, September 13, 2012

10 Running-Related Personal Questions

Although I'm currently on a running hiatus, I do plan to return to running.  I hope soon, but I'm having trouble tearing myself away from my baby to get back on the road.  So, I've adjusted my plans to to the treadmill, although I still haven't stepped on it since Elinore was born.  At the start of 2012, I set a goal for myself to run a 5K after my baby arrived, so I need to get my legs moving! 

Anyway, I read this post from Another Mother Runner this week and wanted to get my mind back into thinking about running.  What better way than to participate!

1. Best run ever: I can't decide between two, and they are the best for completely different reasons.  

In August 2010, I ran a two mile race.  I didn't feel great about my run, and the next night, a Sunday evening, I took off on a run from my house.  For the first time in my running adventure, I didn't want to stop.  I kept running.  I felt strong and energized and just kept running.  I took a different route than I'd ever run and just ran.  Without focusing on how far I was going or what time it was, I just ran and it was amazing. 

Last fall I was training for my first half-marathon with my friend Lisa.  It was a cool early October Sunday morning and we were meeting for a 12 mile training running starting in our town and running a giant square through the next town over and around our town.  It was my longest ever run and it felt great.  It was quiet, a beautiful morning with great company.  I felt so ready to tackle that race after that training run. 

2. Three words that describe my running: Sporatic.  Average.  Challenging. 

3. My go-to running outfit is: I pair of Adidas shorts I picked up on clearance.  They're tight and Bermuda length and comfortable and one of my workout tank tops.  Although, with the dramatic changes to my body from pregnancy, I'm guessing I'll be on the lookout for a new go-to running outfit.  

4. Quirky habit while running: I am the first house on our street, but I can't start running or finish running at my driveway.  I have to walk to the crossroads and start at the intersection, and I always run to the intersection to finish my run too.  

5. Morning, midday, evening: I've always preferred morning run; I'm hoping with our new schedules, I can still manage that on the treadmill.  With my husband now going to work around 6, outside runs are out.  Which isn't so bad since I won't run outside in the dark. 

6. I won’t run outside when it’s: dark; unless I have a running partner.  Since my running friend moved away, I stick inside unless it's light outside.  

7. Worst injury—and how I got over it: In my short running career, I've been fortunate not to have many running injuries.  I suffered from shin splints when I first started running.  I adjusted my running stride and rested a bit to get through them.  One thing that helped too was temporarily stopping wearing high heels to work. 

8. I felt most like a badass mother runner when: I found out I ran my half-marathon 6 weeks pregnant.  I didn't know I was expecting at the time and was so disappointed with myself after the race.  A week later when I found out I was pregnant, it changed my whole perception of my race!

9. Next race is: still to be determined.  Hopefully a 5K yet this year to reach my 2012 goal.

10. Potential running goal for 2013: I don't have a goal other than to get back into a running routine.  I don't plan to expand my mileage much past a 5K so I have more free time for my 3 kiddos.  Time is so precious as a full time working mom.  

No comments: