Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Who takes their kids to swim lessons without towels? Me.

Every one has bad days, and I've had my share of them, but I rarely blog about them.  Today will be one of those rare instances where I bitch about my day.  (If you don't want to hear read it; stop now!)

My alarm went off at 5:30 as always.  I hit snooze, heard thunder, and decided that thunder was an good reason to not workout.  When I got up for real, I realized that was a terrible excuse, and I really should have/needed to workout!

Then I left for work, and realized I forgot my engagement and wedding rings.  Nothing like your finger feeling naked all day.

Then work wasn't so fun.  I've had more meetings in each of the last three weeks that I normally have in a month.  What's the deal!?  How am I supposed to get much done, when I'm constantly in meetings!

People really irritate me.  There is such a thing as thinking about something and digging a littler deeper before asking a silly question.  (Even though, I'm guilty sometimes.  Sorry!)

I left work early to get home and get the kids to swim lessons.  Last time I took them, we were late, so I was really going for being on time tonight.  But when I got home, I was just tired.  I laid on my bed for about 2 minutes while the boys got dressed and decided that just maybe we could skip swim lessons tonight.  I even called hubby and asked if he thought it'd be okay.  As I'm hanging up the phone, I see the boys and know that I have to do the right thing by them.  Swim lessons are good for them, and they need to learn that you have to stick to our commitments.

So we get 95% of the way to swim lessons, and I realize I left their towels at home.  Who takes their kid to the pool without a flipping towel?  Oh wait, me.  Shit.  So we drive past swim lessons, while the kids are yelling at me from the backseat.  I had 17 minutes to go find a towel in a town that had next to no stores, and get back to the YMCA.

So we went to Buehler's, our local chain grocery store, which I love for groceries, despite the slightly higher prices and their assortment of other items.  I get the kids out of the car seats, run into the store, walk around.  But they didn't have any towels.  I was banking on people cashing in on summer opportunities with beach towels.  We run back out of the store, and it's time to load up two kids back into their car seats for a 2 minutes drive down the road.

While we're climbing into the car, Caden starts horsing around and scrapes his leg on the floor crawling in.  Tears galore for just a little scratch.  I quickly kiss boo boo and buckle them in to head to CVS down the road with about 8 minutes to go.

We get to CVS.  Get the kids unbuckled again from car seats, rush inside, rush around, and find ONE lonely beach towel sitting on an empty shelf.  Which is just flipping great for two kids.  I quickly talk the boys into sharing a towel just this one time for swim lessons and off we go to wait in line to pay.  As we wait in line, I decide that a Hershey's chocolate bar would be absolutely acceptable at this time. 

As we finish checking out I rush the boys to take the shirts off now before we get to swim.  We load up in the car again, and I'm wondering why I don't just go home at this point because our 30 minute swim lessons has already started at this point, but we drive to the YMCA anyway.  I get them out of the car seats, and as we're crawling out of the car, Caleb's fingers get pinched a wee bit in a closing door.  More tears.  More kisses of boo boos.

Seriously, is it even worth it now!?  We go in anyway.  The take of their shoes as I look like a crazy mom while every one sits and watches me come in late with the kids.  Then the kids don't want to walk over to the pool.  Then they get over their and Caleb cries though the next 10 minutes of the 15 minutes of swim lessons they made it to tonight.

I got sit on the other side of the glass window with all the other parents feeling like a total schmuck, especially once I hear parents commenting: "someone's not too happy" about Caleb crying in swim lessons. 

Swim lessons end, I go to get them and now, as expected, they're complaining about not having their own towels.  We get over it, go buckle in the car again, and off we go home.

We get most of the way home, and I realize the gas tank light is on, and I have no idea how long it's been on.  I check the display that gives approximate distance to empty, and it said 25 miles.  Hubby is going to have a nice surprise in the morning when he gets in the van.  I did NOT stop for gas!

By the time I got home, the kids were running in the house to get ready for eats, and I was hugging hubby in tears after a crappy day.  Luckily he was nice enough to take the kids for the rest of the evening, so I could do another tasks that puts a dent in any day, paying bills.

No comments: