Saturday, June 05, 2010

A Failed Afternoon of Fun

This morning we went to several local garage sales as a family, as it is local garage sale weekend, and my town seems to take it pretty seriously.  As of Wednesday evening we had a half dozen or so carnival/fair food stands setting up shop in town.

We came home and hubs left to help one of his buddies move.  The kids and I had lunch and then they went down for a nap.  I had been planning on going grocery shopping with them when nap time was over, but I decided I wanted to be more fun than that.  So I sat down to look on-line for something fun to do this afternoon in the area.  Then it started raining.

And I got to thinking, why do we have to go anywhere to have a cool afternoon?  Who says that we can go play in our yard in the rain and have just as much fun!?  It was a perfect rain for playing in the rain.  It's warm, no storms, just a peaceful summer rain.

I thought I'd get the cool mommy of the year award.  I went, woke my boys up from their nap, threw on their swim trunks & my bathing suit and we headed outside!

They hated it.

The rest of the brief 20 minutes we were outside, and I was running around playing and having fun, I heard all of these statements, multiple times.

**  "Mommy, it's wet out here."

**  "Mommy, the rain is too cold."

**  "Mommy, I want to go inside."

**  "Mommy, I'm too cold out here."

**  "Mommy, it's yucky out here."

**  "Mommy, I just want to go sit."

**  "Mommy, I going to sit on the porch."

So I said fine, we'll go back inside and finish our naps.  And so we did, but not without complaint there too.

**  "Mommy, I need a towel."

**  "Mommy, I dirty."

**  "But Mommy, I'm dirty; I can see it!"

**  "Mommy, I need a bath."

**  "Mommy, I didn't like that."

And now, here I sit.  Kids sleeping again.  Me sitting here disappointed that my kids didn't have fun playing outside in the rain.  What kid doesn't love a good splash in a puddle?

No comments: