Monday, June 14, 2010

Road Apple 5K

Saturday, June 12, 2010 I ran my first ever 5K!  About 3 months ago, I started training to run a 5K.  It's something I'd been thinking about for a few months and finally decided I needed to get my but in gear and get running!  I have an awesome friend from work, Shelly, who ran with me. I've been tracking my progress on dailymile throughout.

We had some rain the week leading up to the race, and I was getting weather anxious as it approached.  The day of the race, we had no rain, but there was a CRAZY amount of humidity! 

The 5K was held in conjunction with a Family Walk and a benefit auction to support the Rails to Trails program in Holmes County.  Shelly, who's run previous 5K said this was a fairly casual one, with what looked like several less serious runners.  Fine by me as a first timer! 

The race started at 8:15.  We ran along the Rails to Trails, which did you know is also a buggy trail for horse and buggy?  Well, it is, and it was still open to horse and buggy traffic during the race.  I ran, past, and next to buggies periodically throughout the whole race!  (As a country girl myself, I LOVED it! Shelly, couldn't say the same!)  Along with the horses, comes the poop.  It was LITERALLY a ROAD APPLE 5K!  I watched my step and managed not to step in any horse shit the whole race!  Shelly complained about the smell the came along with the manure, but for me, it smells like being home!  I smell manure on the fields at times when I run at my house too. 

I finished my first mile in 9:25, which is my fastest time yet!  I finished my second mile at 18:something.  Forgive me for not being able to remember in my excitement!  I don't know my final time, but it wasn't 8:45 yet when I finished, so it was under 30 minutes, which was my goal!

I will defiantly be running another!  Maybe I'll even start to work towards a 10K!

2 comments:

Sarita Li said...

Yay! I'm so glad you found one and did it! Congrats on making your goal time, too. What's next? You know a 10K leads to a half marathon which leads to... Well, you know. But one step at a time! :)

sj

Beth said...

Thanks girls! I'm working towards running 5 miles at a time now regularly!