Saturday, September 22, 2012

Thumbs and Pacifiers

Since very early in your life Ellie, you'd liked your hands near your face.  We often hear you sucking on your hands and various fingers. 

We waited a long time to introduce a pacifier due to breastfeeding, and when it was brought up, usually by Daddy, I was against it.  Although as you've grown, and breastfeeding was well established, I've been considering it. 

You see, you're commonly with your hands or fingers in your mouth still, and just in the last day or so you've found your thumb

While I'm not excited about that discovery, I'm proud of you for figuring it out, and finding something that comforts you.  

I'd rather have you take a pacifier than your thumb.  You see, we can take the pacifier away, but we can't take your thumb away.

Over the last few weeks I've tried the pacifier with you and most of the time you're not interested.  We have 3 or 4 different kinds of pacifiers, and I've had the most success with two of them, which happen to be identical.  Even when you do take the pacifier, you don't keep it for long.

I'm sure there will be more to come on the thumb and pacifier front, but now I think I'm comfortable no matter which way you decide to go and we'll leave both options there for you.

We love you Ellie.

No comments: