Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Someone called me old.

During my 5K, I pulled ahead of Shelly, but ended up running alongside another girl for a good portion of the race.  She was by my best estimation about 15; she was definitely a high school teenager by any regards.  There was some brief conversation between us as we ran. Most of which was insignificant enough, I choose to forget.  However a few of comments that I can't seem to shake.

The first thing she said to me was, "wow that grandma is really kicking butt, there's always some old lady who kicks my butt in 5Ks."  I didn't respond. Mainly because I was focusing on the race, and in truth, because I didn't think she looked that old to me!

Around the halfway point, she decided to tell me that she was going to walk at some point.  She advised me that when my legs got tired to stop running and walk backwards.  Again, I didn't respond, and I was thinking in my head that it was awful bold of her to ASSUME that I would get tired in the first place!

And the final comment that really irritated me came somewhere during the second mile.  She had decided to let me know she was going to walk.  I replied this time with a simple good luck.  Then she decides that no, she doesn't need to walk and proceeds to ask my age.  I reply simply with "24."  Her response to that was, "oh, I'm not walking!"

Really!?  My response: "that's your determining factor of weather you can walk or not, your ability to keep up with me because of my age!?" 

A mumbled yes was her response.

Seriously.  I was offended.  Snotty teenager! 

In good news though, I kicked her butt.  She did eventually walk, and I never did once!  I finished at least a few minutes ahead of her, and couldn't have been happier to wipe that smug look of her face!

No comments: