Monday, August 13, 2012

Separation

In the six short weeks since Elinore arrived I've been away from her twice. 

The first time was when I was in the emergency room with the infection.  We arrive there around dinner time, although we hadn't ate.  We were there so long, Keith had to go get something to eat for himself.  Since we didn't know what they'd be having me do, and I was feeling so awful, Keith took her with him.  Luckily it was just a short half hour and we were reunited. 

 This past Sunday was the second time.  Since I became the financial secretary at our church, I have work I have to do after church on Sundays.  Keith and I had driven separately this week because Keith had to work.  I wasn't expecting him in church at all, but he showed up mid-way through after he finished with work.  He took the kids home afterward, while I wrapped up at the church. 

Both of those times were short and quick and painless.  Tomorrow, however, I have to go to the clinic for an x-ray and ultrasound to check on my kidneys.  I'll be gone for a few hours in the afternoon.  Luckily Keith can stay home with her, since she can't come with me.  There is a very good chance I'll be gone long enough tomorrow afternoon, she'll have her first bottle. 

I know she's in very capable hands with her Daddy, and I know it'll be good for her to start introducing a bottle for when I have to go back to work.  Tomorrow also marks the day Ellie turns six weeks old.  It is also the half way point of my maternity leave. 

I'm so fortunate to be able to stay home with Ellie and the boys for 12 weeks, but I'm already not looking forward to returning to work.  I want to work, I'm pretty sure anyway.  But I'd like to be able to stay home with my baby more too.

Tomorrow is just another step toward growing up and working that I'm not ready for.  I'm sure baby will be fine, but mommy isn't ready!

No comments: