Monday, August 06, 2012

Infections


Two weeks and one day after I had Elinore, a Wednesday, I woke up with a headache, and I'd been sweating most of the night in bed.  I didn't think a whole lot of it until I got up and felt kind of light headed and moved into freezing cold with goosebumps. 

After a bit, I took my temperature and had a fever of 101.9.  I was feeling completely miserable at this point.  So I called my dr. office, who sent me to my primary care Dr. office, who scheduled me an appointment.

I called Keith to come home and drive me there, because I was feeling that awful by this point. 

They determined they thought it was some type of bladder infection and sent me home with an antibiotic and instructions to go to the emergency room if I felt worse or my fever didn't get under control with Tylenol. 

After a three hour nap, my fever was 102.6; we were off to the emergency room. 

Keith called my mom to meet us there and take the boys for the night since it was shortly after 6 until we arrived in the ER and knew we wouldn't be leaving soon. 

They ran blood work and another urine culture and provided IV antibiotics to hopefully knock it out faster and increased the frequency of Tylenol to get the fever under control and sent me home.

I was feeling better the next few days, not great, but certainly better than I had been and my fever was hoovering around 100 and under, so I thought everything was improving, until I was getting ready for a shower Friday night and noticed the underside of my one breast was very red.

Since it was a Friday night heading into the weekend, we called the Dr. on call.  After explaining everything to her, she sent a different antibiotic into the pharmacy the next morning knowing now that what was probably really causing my problems was mastitis. 

It only took 3 days and 3 different Drs. to figure that out, and it certainly wasn't fun!  Apparently it is normally more evident due to pain in the breast, which I never had.  And since the redness was on the underside, I didn't notice it until I happened to catch a glimpse of it in the mirror on my way to the shower. 


No comments: