Sunday, April 11, 2010

Finding a Few Family Treasures

My biological grandmother passed away in the early 70s shortly after my dad graduated from high school.  My whole life it was always Grandpa & Gladys.  They took my brother and I everywhere.  We spent a lot of time with them, and almost always had fun!  My grandfather passed away when I was in middle school about 10 years ago, but Gladys has remained a part of our family.  The past November she passed away.

This past Saturday was the estate auction for her belongings.   My family and I went our for the morning, and really had a good time.  I hadn't given it much thought in advance other than, yes I will be there.  (We moved our weekend in Chicago to be there.)  It didn't really hit me until the auctioneer started talking about how the day was going to run and a bit about the family that was hosting and those that had passed.  As I held back tears as the auction started it turned out to be a good day for my family.  We came home with a few items to remember Gladys by, but also my Grandpa.  

Our first purchase was a set of mixing bowls.  I've always wanted this set of mixing bowls, and it's so much nice to have them from someone who was so special.


Our next purchase was a bit of a surprise for our family to see.  It's a thermometer from my grandpa's business he ran many years ago.  
After we made the purchased I teased my dad about them not being able to spell back then.  Since they're really from Holmesville!  Apparently there was a second shipment of these made to correct the spelling, which resulted in the excess amount of thermometers!

We rounded out the day with a few more purchases. 

We purchased the end tables from Gladys' living room to be put in our nearly completed family room in the basement for our fish tank.

We also found another treasure of my grandpa.  He was a character, who always had something up his sleeve and could tell a story like few people I know, other than my dad and brother who have inherited that trait!  He was a funny guy...
A unique purchase, and for some reason we were the only bidders on it!  May my grandpa and his tricks live on!  My boys were quite insistent this be put up in our yard, and with the help and encouragement of my dad it is now the back corner of my house, facing the state highway we live on.  Come to think of it, maybe that is why everyone was looking at my funny as I mowed the lawn today!  

Our last purchases were some miscellaneous tools and a box of games.  Some ring toss, bingo, and Hi-Q.

It was a good day for our family, and I'm glad we'll have something to remember Grandpa and Gladys by.  Rest In Peace. 

No comments: