Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Worst Birthday Dinner Ever

I have this friend.  She moved to our area about a year and a half ago and became my co worker shortly after.  We've became friends in the last year after we ran the 10K together.  She had a birthday two weeks ago, and we'd planned a birthday dinner of stuffed peppers, mashed potatoes and red velvet cake.

Unfortunately, it happened to be the same week my dad was in the hospital and my father-in-law was in an out of the hospital and the week after my miscarriage.  So we had to reschedule.  And this is the first chance we've had. 

I came home after work already to start the peppers when I realized, I forgot to put the hamburger out to thaw.  

Crap, I don't have anything to stuff the peppers with.

No problem, I'll give her a call and order a pizza!

Crap, the pizza place in town only takes cash.  

I just spent my last bit of cash on butter at the gas station.  And I don't have enough money in my bank account to get cash until pay day.

Well this just keeps getting better.

I was completely unprepared.

Result, my friend ends up bringing her own frozen pizzas over for the birthday dinner we were throwing her, which we ate off paper plates.  

At least I can still make a cake, right!?

In theory, yes.  But it turned out like this.  

That cake looks better on the plate than it did in the pan.  I couldn't even get it onto my cake stand.
It tasted great, but we termed it, the ugly cake. 

On second thought, maybe it's a good thing the stuffed peppers were missing the hamburger.  They probably would have turned out horrible too. 

At least I have adorable kids that distracted us all and provided great entertainment!  Perhaps I'll write more about that later. 

Happy Belated Birthday Friend!

No comments: