Monday, November 22, 2010

Red Derby 10K

The first Saturday of November I ran in the Red Derby 10K with a friend/co-worker.  This was the first time we'd ran together, and I thought it was quite a success!

It was freezing that weekend.  I left my house to some snow flurries flying in the sky.  Most every rooftop I drove past had a coating of snow on it.

I had thought enough in advance to purchase new running pants a few days before, and was wearing them in the car on the way.  I was also thinking about hydration and was drinking an open glass of water in the car on the way too.  Too bad I turned a corner, our cup holders weren't sat up correctly, and the whole glass of water dumped on my leg and seat.  The thought of running a 10K in the cold was hard enough for me to wrap my mind around, but not with a soaking wet leg that was going to freeze, I was not looking forward to it!  Luckily I found a blanket in my trunk and dried myself off the best I could!

We arrived at the race, registered, and headed around the block to the Giant Eagle to pee.  It was much more pleasant and warm than the port-a-potties at the race site!

We did our best to stay warm prior to race start, and then we were off!  Somewhere around a 1/2 mile we were still getting adjusted to the weather and my partner was laughing as I asked "Where the F*** is mile 1!?"

Luckily after mile 1, things evened out and we kept an awesome 10 minute mile pace!  Mile 5 was a 9 minute mile, and was probably a bit too much as I fell slight behind toward the end of our 11 minute 6th mile.

We finished 5th and 6th in our female age division.  I finished with a time of 1:02:02.5!  I was certainly pleased with that, as I'd only been targeting 11-12 minute miles due to my lack of training!

We celebrated after by heading to Longhorn for lunch and margaritas and rounded out the afternoon by spending it shopping at T.J. Maxx!  It was a great first 10K race experience and a great day away from home with a new friend!

No comments: