Monday, October 22, 2012

I wrecked our cars.

Elinore was in her first car accident at 14 weeks of age, and it was my fault.

Thankfully, it was minor no one was injured aside from the cars and my mental state.

I was having a rough morning.  I was tired, frustrated and had very little patience. As I was backing out the driveway to take the kids to the sitters, when we suddenly hit something hard.  At first I didn't even know what happened.  What was in the driveway?

I looked and suddenly remembered Keith, who usually leaves for work 90 minutes before me was working from home that day and our car was still in the driveway. 

Then I slumped over the steering wheel and cried, while the boys kind of sat in the back silently not knowing what to say or do.  After making sure all the kids were okay of course. 

Then I made my walk of shame, back to the front door.  Keith opened the door to me standing there crying.  Somehow he knew I hit something.  Although at first he thought I hit someone else.  As I shook my head he figured out I'd hit our car.  He asked if it was bad.  I told him I didn't know, I was afraid to look.  We haven't had the new mini-van a month yet!

He walked outside to survey the damage.  I followed, but still avoided looking.  He stood there quietly before saying: "that's bad." Geez thanks Keith.  That really makes a crying wife feel better!

He took some pictures and started to call his brother to see about repairs.  His brothers works in an auto-body shop.  I took the kids to the sitters trying to calm the tears on the short mile drive there. 

One of the Caden decided it was safe to comment on the way to the sitters and asks "Mommy, why did Daddy park the car there!?"  I agreed! explained that Daddy didn't do anything wrong, I wasn't paying attention. 

Of course the boys ran into the sitters before I even had Elinore out of the car and had told the babysitter that Mommy crashed the car and the lights are broken on our car!  They hadn't seen the back of our van yet.   As they're telling the sitter about it, Caleb asks if they can make a sign to put on our car that says "Please don't hit me; please don't hit me!"

After leaving the sitters, I headed back to our house to work out the details with Keith.  Crying again of course.  We talk, I calm down, eat some breakfast and he tries to lighten my mood with a reminder that he backed into our house one time.  At least the car can move.  Our house hasn't moved since we moved in 60 years. 

I should probably add that our new mini-van has a back-up camera in it.  Clearly it only works if you're looking at it. 





No comments: