Thursday, October 18, 2012

Being Calm

In the course of the last week, I've had two people make nearly the same comment to be about parenting and babies. 

In the first conversation, I was stopped outside the restroom by a co-worker in another department who noticed I was back to work after having Elinore.  She asked a few questions, and it came up that so far, Ellie has been a very good baby for us.  She continued to comment that she thought that meant I was a very calm parent because she thinks babies can tell when parents are flustered and react accordingly. 

Monday evening we had a team building social hour event at an are Buffalo Wild Wings.  I hadn't planned on coming, but was feeling too guilty about not attending with everyone being there, including the team members from our of state, so Elinore and I went together.  Keith had the boys at swim lessons, so it was baby goes or no one goes.  We went.  She was excellently behaved.  She was content the entire time, she let anyone hold her, and she offered up some smiles too.  One of my co-workers, who I admire to some degree, commented on her behavior and mine as well.  She had something very similar to say that I was very calm and comfortable with her; she thought Elinore responded well to me comfort and ease with her. 

I think I've found myself to be so much more comfortable with being a mom than I ever expected it to be.


No comments: