Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Adventures Away from the Family

Last week I attended a conference for work.  It was a two day seminar in Columbus, that I was attending for an insurance certification.  It did not start off on a good foot Monday morning!  I heard my phone ringing around 6:30 and immediately knew I'd screwed up!  I was to meet another member of our team at 6:15 at the office, and I hadn't packed yet!  I somehow made it out my door in 15 minutes and to work 30 minutes later!  Thankfully I live fairly close to the office!

We made it to the conference only 5-10 minutes late and embarked on two days of FREEZING in a frigid conference room.

After my fairly embarrassing moment that morning, you would think things would turn around, but no, I had to top that one, with a BIG one.  During dinner, somehow the topic of the play "The Vagina Monologues" came up, and I was sharing my experiences in seeing them.  I would highly recommend seeing them!  They're wonderful.  Anyway, as I was talking about this in a loud/noisy place we choice to dine for the evening I more or less yelled vagina as the waitress stepped up the the table right in front of me.  Which led to a rousing bout of laughter from all of my co-workers!

Post-dinner we decided to walk back to our hotel which was less than a mile away, but I wasn't having any of that in high heels.  Co-workers thought it was quite unsanitary to be walking in downtown Columbus in bare feet.  Having lived through a flood, I'm slightly less concerned about that.

To make matters even better/more embarrassing, when I laugh, I snort.

Day two didn't get any warmer, but I survived the class and the 50 question multiple choice test.  Then it was off to another meeting with two of my co-workers.  Following that we decided stopping for some ice cream might be a good idea, and it was delicious!  On our way back home, our driver happened to miss our exit and we ended up near Easton.  We decided at that point it would be a great idea to try The Melting Pot.

None of us had ever been before, we were missing our dinners at home, and for me, my house was out of power due to an accident in town.  Needless to say, I don't think any of us will be dining there again.  It was a crazy large amount of food, and a wild variety of food.  None of us felt our best when we'd finished.  We all settled in for the two hour drive home and back to reality of work and family life.

I enjoyed my time away, but it is always wonderful to come home to family.

No comments: