Friday, July 13, 2012

Elinore's Birth Story - As Told by Daddy


Keith and I took along a pen and notebook to the hospital with us to document our experience through the labor and delivery.  I left Keith in charge, and this is his account of Elinore's birth. 

Monday, July 2, 2012
4:00 PM
Beth called me at work; she peed her pants and thought her water was broke.
5:00 PM
We arrive at hospital and find out Beth peed her pants; however, heartbeat of baby was erratic and they decided to induce with Pitocin at 7:20 PM.
7:40 PM
Dr. Kriechbaum broke Beth’s water.  Bet said it felt “wet” when asked.
8:00 PM
We’re watching American Pickers; Beth has been very nervous and tired.  Luckily she got to eat around 6:00 PM.
8:10 PM
I pulled a not cool husband move and ate a cookie in Beth’s presence.  She told me to quit.  I also took some pictures of her on my phone; she was not happy about it.
8:40 PM
Pain is starting; we are talking about the epidural.  She is holding off.  She wants to go home; insert sad face here.
11:00 PM
6 cm; asked for epidural.  I had to leave room.
Tuesday, July 3, 2012
12:02 AM
She is feeling better asked to turn channel.  Now we’re watching Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.  We’re very close the nurses are saying.  They say she made it through the worst parts without the drugs.
1:50 AM
Started pushing.
2:05 AM
Dad almost passes out.
2:35 AM
Still pushing.
2:50 AM
Nauseated; going to sleep.
5:00 AM
Start pushing again.
5:40 AM
Can see brown hair on the baby; called doctor for delivery.  Blood!
6:00 AM
Doctor arrived.
6:05 AM
Baby was born; Daddy is very surprised it’s a girl!

1 comment:

Suz said...

Nice post, Keith, I'm impressed you kept your thoughts together enough to chronicle the event. Congrats in a GIRL!