Thursday, May 03, 2012

Happy 6th Birthday!

Dear Boys,

Yesterday, you turned 6.  

SIX!

I remember the first birthday I celebrated with you.  You turned two.  I had come home from college to spend the weekend with your Daddy and be there for your birthday party at your grandma's house.  Your mom and dad had agreed to hold a party there.  I remember exactly what I got you for that birthday too, and we were sure you it got to go to your Daddy's house at the end of the party.  


It still sits in our toy room with a slew of other toys.  That is one toy, we'll never get rid of.  You two may have no memory of the significance of it, but for me, it's special.  Someday you'll understand.

A lot has changed in the past for years.  

For one, your toys have gotten bigger and more expensive!  I can't wait to see your excitement when you learn of your birthday present this weekend at your birthday party.  If you don't discover it sooner. 

And another thing, our family unit has shifted, and we've become a blended family of 4, soon to be 5!  I'm no longer a friend showing up to the party bearing gifts; I'm hosting a party for our families to celebrate you two, very special, not-so-little anymore, boys!

You look more and more grown up with each passing day.  

I can see you learning more and more about real world things each week too.  Your questions are more difficult to answer, not always because we don't the answer, which often happens, but because they are the tough questions.  This week, we tackled your questions about the devil and starting explaining hell to you as your curious minds asked question after question. 

You are becoming more and more independent, and although it is hard for me, I try to let you make as many of your own decisions as possible.  The micro-managing control freak in me is learning to let go. 

You still ask us to play with you, not often, but on occasion.  I need to make more time for that with you, because soon enough your father and I won't be cool enough for you anymore.  I hope that day is far away, but I know it's coming. 

You've started playing t-ball this year, and you'll start kindergarten in the fall.  You'll be big brothers again this summer.  I'm sure there are countless more things you'll be interested in and want to try.  I can't wait to watch as you develop your interests further and grow.   You can bet I'll be one proud mama standing on the sidelines or sitting in the stands watching whatever it is you choose to do.  

I can't wait to watch you both grow in the year of being six.  I love being your mommy, and love each of you beyond words.  

Here's to being six!

Love,

Mom



No comments: