Saturday, March 27, 2010

2010 Ohio Spring Dairy Expo

Wednesday I spent my day at work preparing for the expo with excitement.  I love cow shows!  Thursday morning I headed to Columbus in decent weather with a forecast of rain!  I spent the day with a producer from one of our independent agency partners.  With some difficulties get our table set up, we had extra time to browse through the barn to view the show animals, the sale barn for the sale animals, and even some time to watch the Holstein Dairy Judging contest! 

Amongst our walks through the aisle, I stopped to visit some VERY good friends of mine (and the source of all my cow showing fun!).  I took a look at the cows for the show this year, and it turns out Krystal was 7 days overdue to calve!  At one point during the afternoon we thought she was going to begin labor, and our agency partner and I were excited!  We hoped we were going to be there for the the birth!  Even after things hung wound down on the commercial show front, I hung around to visit with my friends and hope for a calf!  By 6-ish I decided I needed to head out for the evening in the rain and hope the calf was born before the next time so my boys could see a baby!  How AWESOME would that be!?

Friday night came, and hubbster and I put the kiddos in the car for the drive back to the show!  I was hoping the calf would be born will we were there so not only I could be there, but my boys could see it too!  That didn't pan out though...!  Friday night was the Ayrshire show (my breed of choice).  We arrive just in time for the start of the show, and I started my poop duty!  (Yes, my job is to stand around in the aisle with the cows and scoop & wipe all poop as it arrives & I actually enjoy it!)  The show went very quickly and the boys LOVED it!  While toting around the pitchfork, hay, brushes and more they had a great time!  This makes mommy a very happy girl!  If my boys love what I love, we've got a family affair for fun family entertainment!

As of 10 Friday night when headed back home, there was still no calf born!  Nearly 9 days overdue!  Hopefully we'll have a call soon and go to the farm for a visit to see the baby!  

No comments: