Tuesday, May 15, 2012

An Infection and Kidney Stones

It's been an eventful weekend, and one I hope to not repeat anytime soon ever.

Granted, the baby shower was wonderful, but I would say I would have enjoyed it a bit more had I felt a bit better.  Luckily none of my guests noticed. 

I should have known my weekend would be a trial when I took the dog to the vet Friday night and left covered in dog pee.  Belle has started peeing on the floor when we take her to to the vet, and this time she rubbed her bottom and tail in it before we could get it cleaned up and then shook it all over me. We came home for showers all around after that one. 

Saturday morning we had planned to go shopping for a new refrigerator before I picked up my mom to head to the baby shower, but my body had other plans.  I woke up with a urinary tract infection. I called the dr. on call and ended up at Express Care Saturday morning to be tested, get started on antibiotics and head back home.

Needless to say, I used the bathroom about 321684321 time during the shower.  (That may be a slight exaggeration, but it was a LOT!)  Luckily the pain had mostly subsided by that point, so it was just a frequency issue.  Until it was time to go home anyway. 

I live just over an hour from where the shower was, and I had my mom with me.  I was supposed to drop her off on my way, but 15 minutes into the car ride, we were stopping to use the restroom again.  At that point I called Keith and asked if he'd take my mom home if I came straight home.  While we only live 25 minutes apart, the path home is in different directions.  Luckily my mom agreed and we headed out again, very quickly

I don't usually speed, but I made an exception Saturday as I cursed drivers for being slow and in my way.  I just wanted to be home.  When my mom commented on my speed, I believe my comment went something like, "if they want to give a woman this pregnant with a urinary tract infection a ticket then they can go right ahead, but they better write it f****** fast!"

She didn't say much more after that.

By the next pit stop on the way home my kidney had started to hurt.  Which made me a bit anxious knowing I had kidney stones

We got home, I ran into the house and before too long we were on our way to the emergency room while my mom stayed with the boys.  My back (kidney) was seriously painful and the constant pain from the urinary tract infection put me over the edge.  I'm not one to frequent the doctor or ever want to go to the emergency room, but this time, I didn't put up much of a fight when Keith brought it up.  He's ready to go to the ER at the slightest bit of anything!  We balance each other out well that way. 

We stopped again on the way to the ER to use the restroom at an Arby's.  And for the second time that day I used someone's restroom without purchasing a thing.   I have a general rule that if we're going to use your restroom, we at least purchase something from you.  Saturday, I didn't care.  (Although we did eat at that Arby's Sunday, so I think that counts even if it was a day later!)

After tearfully waiting for them to finish with the patient in front of me in the ER, the second they found out I was pregnant they send me straight to labor and delivery, without a question asked why I was there. 

Keith and I didn't think we'd be in a labor and delivery room for awhile yet.  So it was a bit uncomfortable of a feeling, but I also think that it worked in our favor as we were able to go home much sooner!  They monitored baby for awhile, who was doing just great!  The nurse said there were some contractions showing, but that it was a common occurrence with an UTI and they should stop with treatment of the infection.  They checked to make sure they weren't productive contractions, and my cervix was still closed.   Fortunately by this point, the worst of the pain had subsided, I was no longer in tears, and while it still hasn't comfortable, it was certainly more manageable!

With kidney stones, there is nothing they can do about them so I just have to hope nothing changes again and all is well.  They just have to pass on their own, which they advised me was very difficult during pregnancy due to the expanding size of my uterus leaving little room for the stones to pass. 

So about an hour later we were on our way back home with instructions to keep taking my antibiotics, drink LOTS of water and if there were more problems to contact my urologist first.

At home we fed and bathed the kids and sent them home with my mom on the fear that we might have to head back to the hospital later, which we didn't, fortunately.   I spent a fair amount of time in a warm shower that evening to relax and keep my mind off the uncomfortableness of it all.  It was hard to sleep and get comfortable.  Standing felt better than sitting. 

After a short nap on the couch earlier in the evening, I finally got to sleep around midnight and slept well until 9:30 that morning, which never would have been possible without the kids being at my mom's.  We canceled our maternity photo session we were supposed to have Sunday and are trying to reschedule.  I just wasn't feeling up to it.  I stayed home from work on Monday, and am still feeling sluggish, but much better overall.

I'm praying the kidney stones cause no more issues until after the baby is born and that these antibiotics clear up this infection quickly so we can glide through the rest of the pregnancy.  The birth, well, this back and kidney pain experience has me anxious, because that was tough!  I have no idea how that compares to childbirth; but thinking about that makes me nervous!

No comments: