Sunday, May 20, 2018

Checklist

"God cant be reduced to a checklist."

How do you grow closer to God?

It isn't in the actions we taken, even though that may be good and honorable.   It isn't in the church going, giving and community service.  It's in the position of our hearts to Jesus.  It is in denying ourself the things that dont benefit us or bring us closer to God even if they are not sinful things.  "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." Luke 9:23

This is a fruit of the spirit.  (Galations 5:22)  Self-control brings us closer to Jesus and further from our thoughts being stuck full of guilt from our poor choices.

Sometimes I can get very focused on my shortcomings that it distances me from God.  It causes insecurity within me. I need spiritual nutrition and health to keep my soul full and satisfied in a way that food, possessions and other people cannot.

These are my notes and thoughts from the chapter " Growing Closer to God" in Made to Crave by Lysa Terkeurst.

No comments: