Monday, September 25, 2017

Our Daily Bread

This is sermon notes from September 17.

One of our scripture readings for the day was from Philippians 2:12-13. 

"Therefore, my dear friends,  as you have always obeyed-not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence-continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose."

The sermon scripture was from Exodus 16:2-15. 

Her main questions for the day were:

"How much is enough?  Do we trust God to give us enough?"

We feel we never have enough = lack of trust.  When we hoard and gather, we lack trust in God's provision.  We must also recognize his provisions.  Do we trust god to provide all out daily needs?  Including food, shelter, love relationships, service?  We all hold onto things in place of trusting God.  We need to focus on what we NEED, not what we WANT and we must SHARE from our abundance.

F.R.O.G. - Fully Rely On God

Personally, I think she made excellent points, but I struggled with the concept when it comes to a big picture in our world.  As I tried to digest this, I though big pictures in our world today.  I believe we have good people with great faith that are living in dire circumstances and struggling every day.  Sharing for our abundance is the start, but people die of starvation daily.  Maybe I am ignorant to my knowledge of the details here, but I would imagine some of these deaths are Christians with great faith.  All their needs are met in salvation with death, but it just didn't quite sit right with my as I thought through this sermon.

I defiantly need to trust God more, rely on his for more, and I could share more too.  But does this sermon carry over to all our Christian brothers and sisters?  Maybe it doesn't and maybe that is okay.  Maybe this was intended for just our congregation and is entirely accurate for such. 

I just needed to think through it to wrap my mind around the concepts!

No comments: