Tuesday, September 05, 2017

"Lamb of God"

Sunday's sermon was titled "Lamb of God."  The scripture was from Exodus 12:1-14. 

She started with a tough question. "What determines life?"  Breath?  Brain function? Heartbeat?  (She didn't answer the question, but reminded us that in the scripture, breath is linked to life.  The breath of life.  But that when someone passes, the cessation of the heartbeat is the time of death.  In the time of Moses, blood was essential to live. 

She posed other tough questions in the sermon this week too.  "Do we give God our first and best? Or leftovers?"  I know I probably rarely give my first and best unfortunately.  I'd like to be better, but I can't quite get there. 

Then we talked about the Passover, that very first Passover.  God knew who his people were.  He knows who his people are now.  Why do you think he wanted the blood on the doorframe, and the eating while standing with bags packed, and so on?  He wants our obedience.  He knew the Israelites from the Egyptians, but he wanted their obedience.  And he wants out obedience now. 

What are we willing to leave or give for God?  What do we have to sacrifice?  Our lives.  Our hearts.  We had talked about this in Sunday School more extensively before the sermon and we've talked about it before too.  Would we be willing to drop everything and go if called?  My point has been that rarely would we wake up one morning and be called to leave that day.  I think God more commonly gently guides us on a path that leads up there if we bravely follow him.  We just need to take the next step.  Yet, I imagine God has his own ways and sometimes it is immediate.  We must give our lives.  Our hearts.  I must give my life, and my heart to God. 

We must love one another, and live like we do love one another.  Then we are sharing God's love.

No comments: