- Nehemiah learns of the trouble in Jerusalem and lack of walled protection and cries and prays for his repentance to be heard
- Nehemiah severs the king's wine
- Nehemiah is sad in front of the king, Artaxerxes, who notices his sad heart and asks - He tells him his sadness over his city, Jerusalem and asks to go and rebuild
- King grants permission and letters to pass through safely to Jerusalem
- Some officers were upset by Nehemiah's arrival
- Nehemiah inspected the walls at night and plans the rebuilding
- Many people repaired sections of the wall
- There were enemies of the wall building forcing builders to split their time between building and protecting, everyone carried weapons always and stay in the city to guard
- People complained of lack of food and heavy taxes and interest hurting them
- Nehemiah called important people and leaders to give the people back their extra charges and land
- He also didn't take the allocation (what people had to give) for governor's food and shared what he had with other daily
- Nehemiah's enemies tried to stop him and harm him; he refused to meet with them and asked for strength
- Wall rebuilt in 52 days - new Levites, gatekeepers, singers, etc. are appointed
- Ezra reads the book of teachings to the people and they understand and follow
- Israel confesses their sin and their ancestors sin
- They pray displaying their knowledge of the book of teachings and describe out God
- They make an agreement to keep the book of teachings
- People from the town of Judah threw lots for people to come live in Jerusalem
- Priests and Levites are named
- The wall is offered to God
- They sent the foreigners way as God instructed in the book of teachings
- Nehemiah had gone to see the king and was away; he returned and did not like what he found and purified again
- He set reminders to keep the Sabbath holy and remember not to marry foreigners
Wednesday, May 17, 2017
I wrapped up my reading of Nehemiah last night.
A dear friend of mine had been recommending I read The Best Yes by Lysa Terkeurst for some time before I actually picked it up. I was hesi...
As I read the prayer they prayed in Nehemiah 9, I started to notice the name adjectives they used to describe our God and took not of them; ...
I just finished this book. It was a good read, and I think for the right person incredibly helpful and insightful. I personally don't f...
I wrapped up my reading of Nehemiah last night. Nehemiah learns of the trouble in Jerusalem and lack of walled protection and cries and ...