Wednesday, April 29, 2015

The 5 Love Languages of Children


Earlier this week I finished reading  The Five Love Languages of Children.  Not too long ago I read another version of the 5 Love Languages focused on marraige.  From the first time I started reading the book years ago, to the time I finished it recently, I toyed in the back of my mind with how this applied to our children.  Then there was a chapter in the marriage book about how it applies to children, and it sealed the deal; I wanted to read this book.

I didn't devour it in the same way I did the book on marraige, but I think it may be because I already understood the concepts from having read the other version.  While I knew the concepts, this helped me apply it to children with ideas and explanations. 

The theme through the book is that each child has a primary love language that should be used and supported by the other love languages; all of the languages are important.  The languages can change over time too for individuals.  It is also important to model speaking love in all the language so the children learn multiple langauges of love to speak to help them as they grow and mature and interact with others too.  It wasn't just about loving your kids, but teaching them how to love too. 

With four kids, I still don't know their love languages.  I think two are too young to have clearly defined ones, and the boys, I haven't decided what their primary love languages is either.  For right now, I'm okay with that though.  I've focused on speaking all the love languages to my children more.  While I think my children and doing better; I'm feeling better too.  I go to bed at night less frustrated by my parenting actions of the day than in the past.  I still have bad days, we all do, but there are less because I'm more conscioud about my chioces in parenting and interacting with others. 

The other thing this book taught me, which I should have realized sooner, has nothing to do with what the authors wrote.  It has everything to do with the fact that what I'm reading, influences the way I think and interact and live my days.  What I read should be encouraging me to be a better Christian, parent, wife, etc. 

"Be careful what you think, because your thoughts run your life."  Proverbs 4:23

I've been learning over the last few months how the Bible is your took to know and use in your daily life, but reading this book really brought that message home.  Because I read this book, I was thinking more about how I act with my children.  If I read my Bible more, I will have that in my mind and know the Christ-like way to respond to the situations and know God's expectations of us. 

How powerful is that?  I've heard the message before, but it finally clicked. 

I'm diving into She Reads Truth again and joining them through 1 and 2 Timothy.  I'd taken a hiatus in the devotions of She Reads Truth for awhile, but I'm getting back into it and hoping it becomes routine again. 

No comments: