Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Supermom

The Friday after Elinore's birthday, the day before her first birthday party, I had the day off work and took the kids to the grocery store to get the supplies for the party.  We were spending some time in the produce section.  I'm doing my shopping and the next thing I know Caleb is spilling to bags of apples all over the floor all around the aisle. 

I wasn't sure how to handle it at first.  I was wearing Elinore and she was sleeping on my chest.  The boys were just kind of standing there dumbfounded.  I tried to get the picking them up; I picked up a few awkwardly with a sleeping baby.  A few employees walked around us, until one finally came out to help us.  He was kind enough to tell me to let them handle it since the baby was sleeping.  Caleb helped him pick up the apples and put them back in the bag, while an older couple stood behind us waiting.  They finally got the all picked up, after they spilled again from an uneven bag. 

A few minutes later, we were on the other side of the produce section when another mom stopped me.  She stopped me to tell me that she thought I was 'supermom!'  She told me she had hired a babysitter at home to keep her two kids so she could come to the store.  I laughed as I thanked her and let her know that she had just missed us spilling apples all over the next aisle over. 

I hope I left her feeling a little better that I'm not 'supermom,' but I also felt pretty good for receiving the compliment. 

No comments: