Monday, February 22, 2010

A Weekend of New Beginnings of Sorts & BAKING!

This past weekend was the first weekend in maybe a month it seems that life in our house may return to normal afterall!  After a rocky month of ups and downs, we finally got back to a more normal routine over the weekend.  As it is never ending we spent most of Saturday cleaning, doing laundry, and I started baking again!  Before kids I LOVED to bake, and did it quite frequently.  It happens much less often, but I still enjoy it! 

After the kids got up from their too short Saturday afternoon nap, we started baking!  Baking with our Kitchenaid mixer is WONDERFUL might I add!  (Thanks Mom!)  We started with a mayonaise cake, which at first hubby REFUSED to let me make saying it would be disgusting.  Well, I refuse to be told what I can and cannot bake!  So I baked it!  I also looked up a recipie for brown sugar frosting to top the cake.  Both of these items are things that 1: I never hear about, and 2: I've never made before!  It turns out the cake is AWESOME!  :) 

Hubby insisted I then make so no-bake cookies, which I protested, but caved in thinking about how simple they are to make.  Unfortunatley I didn't think ahead when making the recipie!  The mayo cake and frosting was simple, throw ingredients in and mix.  So I started to do the same with the no-bake cookies forgetting the chocolaty concotion has to boil!  Opps!  Luckily I caught on before I did TOO much damage.  I added the peanut butter prematurely, and it had to boil with the chocolate.  The cookies taste delicious still, but they're a bit harder and more crumbly than usualy due to the slight mistake in preparation!

Finally I baked Mississippi Mud.  This is a recipie my mom gave me that had belonged to my Grandma Bechtel.  She passed away in the early 1970s, and I never had the opportunity to meet her, but I imagine she was a wonderful person that we would have gotten along with well.  My mom had the recipie becuase this was one of my dad's favorite desserts that his mom used to make.  Having tried to please my dad in making one of her recipies before (lemon sponge pie) I learned I don't always get it right the first time.  I thought I'd try it once BEFORE making it for dad just as a trial run.  The lemon sponge pie turned out awful.  (Lucky for me all dad had to say was that I should try again!)  Luckily, the Mississippi Mud has received compliments so far!  We took it to the in-laws with us yesterday, and it was a hit!  Although my three year olds weren't fans!  Perhaps we'll try again for Dad when he returns from the great state of Wyoming on his snowmobiling vacation!  He's the only one who'll be able to tell us if it's like Grandma's or not!

No comments: