Friday, October 09, 2015

The Unwritten Rules of Friendship: Simple Strategies to Help Your Child Make Friends

Caden and Caleb are awesome kids with great, unique personalities.  As many kids do, they struggled with some social situations though.  They each had their own segments they struggled in.  For awhile we approached it as a they will learn and grow out of it, it's part of childhood.  But we decided that was a silly approach when we could help them now!  In the long run, they very well may have learned and caught on and been adults, but parents hate to see their kids struggle as kids, us included.  So we did a little Google research and found this book recommendation.  Amazon sent it our way, and I've now read it cover to cover. 

The book offers an introductory section followed by a section on different types of children.  Not that they're stereotyping children, but that there are several behaviors that fit together into different descriptions lumped together in chapters that address those concerns.  Sine of the chapters are:
  • The Vulnerable Child
  • The Intimidating Child
  • The Short Fused Child
  • The Little Adult
  • The Sensitive Soul
  • The Different Drummer
  • The Born Leader
I saw characteristics of my boys in several different chapters.  I don't necessarily agree with everything in the text, but awareness of issues was presented for me, and awareness of things I still need to teach my children.

I want me children to be unique and be themselves, but I also need them to be able to navigate socially and through society in a manner that allows successful interactions for all parties.  I want to help them.

There are things Keith and I still need to teach them.  Even if when we choose to go against the norm, we need to know what the norm is and why we're doing it.  Keith even read a chapter or two that I suggested to review. 

I felt better knowing there are other kids out there like mine.  And picking up a few things I can teach the kids.  I'm keeping the book handy for a little while to refer to as things come up to help teach. 

No comments: