Friday, January 05, 2018

Leadership

A few month back, I attended a seminar for work called Growing Leaders.  Holly Moore was the presenter and she was wonderful to hear speak.  Much of what she talked about resonated with my time in the McDonough Leadership Program at Marietta College. 

I took a few notes through her presentation; I've captured some snippets of it below.
  • She opened with talking about people having a leadership mindset.  There are situation leaders and leaders who grow their leadership mindset. 
  • Email is for information, not emotion.
  • "Wise leaders play chess, not checkers as they manage relationships."  People move and interact like chess pieces, all different and unique and should be managed as such.  People are not all alike like checkers that move in the same way.
I enjoyed her presentation for the day so much that the following week I emailed the Dean of the program at Marietta and told him that the seminar I attended reminded me so much of my time at McDonough as she talked about situation leaders and growth mindsets.  When I think about what concepts and theories I learned in college that I think about any apply today in the workforce, far and away it is the concepts that I learned in leadership. 

That email led me to being connected with director of communication and brand management at Marietta, which led me to being a featured alumni on the website!

No comments: