Friday, October 14, 2011

2011 Akron Relay Recap

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I ran in the Akron Marathon Relay, and I loved it!

Our team's final time was 4:45:03.

I ran the second leg of the race, a distance of 5.7 miles.

My official time was 1 hour, 1 minute, 36 seconds.  This means I maintained miles under 11 minutes, which is awesome.

There were SO MANY RUNNERS!  I mean I expected that, but to see it, and to see the crowd, it was an amazing experience.

And the crowd, well, it rocked too.

There sense of support they provided for the friends and/or family that were running was wonderful.  I knew my family would be somewhere near the end of my leg of the race, and seeing so many kids cheering for their parents on the route, made me exicted to get to see my kids cheering too. 

Somewhere in the middle of my leg, I ran into a college friend of mine who was running it.  We ran together for a minute and chatted quickly before I headed off to finish my leg.  She was running the half marathon, and did pretty great!  We went to college over 2 hours away, but she was from the area orginally and had traveled back to visit family and run. 

This was by far the largest race I've ever participated in, and one I hope to participate in again in years to come.

No comments: