Friday, August 21, 2015

Go Set a Watchman

I finished Go Set a Watchman this week.  It was another good read to follow To Kill a Mockingbird.  It took me a chapter or two in the beginning to get my scene and characters straight, but it was followed well as a retun some years later to Maycomb. 
 
I was obviously saddened and upset by the racism and segreation, but it is also part of history and  that time.  I admired Jean Louise, Scout, for standing up for what she believed in, for being upset by what she saw and for knowing it wasn't right.  But in the ending, I'm not sure she did those things.  She had it out with her family about the issues, but the ending seems to reconcile that she continued to live on with it without trying to fight for what was right. 
 
Some of the dialogue was difficult to follow between the heated, passionate conversations Scout had with people.  Yet, I followed her story, I felt her desire for a better world for the world she thought she had. 
 
The book left me wanting to know more of her life, her future and her story.  Good books have a way of doing that with their charcaters though don't they?
 

No comments: