Monday, January 05, 2015

Carry On, Warrior



When Glennon Doyle Melton first released the book Carry On, Warrior, I purchased a copy, read a few chapters and never had time to finish it.  Then she released it in paperback, and I bought that one too. 

Back in May or June I started reading my paperback copy of the book.  It took me months to finish it, but this past fall I did, and I'm so glad I finished it.  This is the first book I've ever read that I actually wrote in as I was reading (besides college textbooks of course).  I underlined things, I started things, I made notes.  It changed the way I thought of some things.  It didn't change my beliefs, but made me think of them in different ways and expanded my horizons. 

When I finished the book, I even shared it with my Sunday School class as there was a peice in it about fear and love, which was the current topic in Sunday School.  The timing of it was so great.

The most moving part of the book for me though, was near the end when she wrote about death and meeting God.  Her comment was along the lines of it not being a meeting, but a greeting and a question of, where did we leave off?  As the conversation between God and I continues.  I'd add the exact quote if I still had my copy of the book, but as good books do, it's found its way into a friend's hand for their enjoyment. 

Even in this, I feel my writing doesn't do this book justice, it was such a great thing, and something that has been seeking more books that will help me grow in my faith and relationship with our Lord. 

No comments: