Monday, August 16, 2010

Cheerleaders!

As I was finishing my 5K over the weekend.  I was maybe a quarter mile from the finish line in the park.  And there was a small crowd of people cheering.  I always run better when I know/think someone is watching me.  So it helped, but there was an added bonus of a crowd of them yelling my name. 

The whole time I'm thinking, how the heck do they know my name!?  I'm running and thinking through all the possible scenarios, which all lead no where.  Why would someone care, even if they knew my name. 

Then I got a little confused because they were cheering for me to pass/catch the girl in front of me.  I was looking ahead, but I didn't see anyone in sight.

Then I cross the finish line, they take my tag, and give me a card for the people to fill out.  As I was filling it out, and the girl who finished just behind me is doing the same, it occurred to me, she and I had the same name.  The person they wanted her to catch/pass was me!  (Proud moment: she didn't!)

Who knew the cheers for another person would help me finish strong!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Whatever works!! LOL

Congratulations on your 5K and for placing 2nd for your age group. You must be so proud :-)

Beth said...

Maybe in a few years I'll forget that the trophy for second place sitting on the shelf for for second place of two.

It's possible right?